Indian Mission Vicariate
Fr. Sunil Thomas, Vicariate Superior
Fr. A. Alex, Vicar Superior
Fr. Vinoy Joseph, Secretary
Fr. James , Councillor
Fr. Vimal Raj, Treasurer
The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide, which has charge of the spread of the faith among the people who have not heard of the faith, thereupon concurred most willingly with the wishes of our Venerable Father Francis Jordan the Founder and Superior General. Hence, the Propaganda Fide came to the decision to give as prefecture apostolic to 'The Catholic Teaching Society' (Later known as Society of the Divine Saviour) the former kingdom of Assam, the kingdom of Bhutan, and the kingdom of Manipur; in order that it may there spread the light of Christianity. This territory heretofore belonged to the diocese of Central Bengal and has now been separated from the same as an independent prefecture because this vicariate with sixteen million pagan inhabitants was too extensive.
On 13 Dec 1889 the Apostolic Prefecture of Assam was erected and handed over to the Society of the Divine Saviour by a Decree of the Propaganda Fide. Hence, the first 4 German Salvatorian Missionaries set foot in Assam 1890, under the direction of Very Rev. Fr. Otto Hopfenmüller, who was also the first Mission Superior of the Catholic Mission of Assam.
The moment they arrived in Assam, their sole aim was to make known the Saviour to the people of the land. There was not a single soul converted to Christianity by then. The zeal and enthusiasm and the hard labour of Fr. Otto and his companions could be seen in the amount of works they undertook during that very short time. The foundation was laid, though Fr. Otto (20-08-1890) and Br. Marianus (30-08-1890) had to lay their life for the mission due to disease and hard work after six months of their untiring labour. However, more men and women were sent to the mission by Fr. Jordan and mission was flourished.
Unfortunately, after 25 years of untiring missionary activities the German Salvatorian Missionaries had to leave the Indian mission due to the First World War which began in 1914.
In 1989 the Salvatorians re-established the Society in India, at Carmelaram (Bangalore, Karnataka), under the dynamic leadership of Fr. Andrzej Urbanski SDS (the then Mission Superior of Tanzania Mission) and Fr. John Vallomprayil SDS (an Indian from the British province of the SDS) along with other missionaries, who took turns to assist the initial ministry of formation. At this initial stage the society also took over the Mission and Christ Jyoti School at Nagaon (Assam) and continued the initiative to develop the missions in Dhing (Assam) and Tokobary (Assam).
Later the Indian Foundation was brought under the leadership and care of the Generalate. There were many missionaries who guided the Indian Mission till 2002. While Fr. Artur Chrzanowski was superior(2000-2002) the new foundations in Shillong (Meghalaya) and Laitkynsew (Meghalaya) were established .
In December 2003 the first General body meeting of the Indian SDS was held at Carmelaram (Bangalore), and Fr. Joseph Kannamparambil was appointed as the Regional Superior after consultation, and he held the office till the first of March 2010. During his time the new foundations in Chullikara (Kerala), Warangal (Andrapredesh), and Ranchi (Jharkand) were established and initiatives were taken to establish new foundations in Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka.
Indian foundation was elevated to Indian Mission Vicariate from the 1 March 2010 and Fr. Rosario Chinnappan was appointed as the superior of the Vicariate after consultation. Under the leadership of Fr. Rosario the establishing of the new foundations in Sri Lanka (2011)were completed.
In December 2013 (08.12.2013) Fr. Sunil Thomas was appointed as the Vicariate Superior.